Alright, you asked and and you shall receive! Here are my favorite ways to practice self-care.
- Yoga- I recently picked this up and OH EM GEEEEEEEEE! I do not know why I was so afraid to try it before. I take classes now either at Lifetime Fitness or at Performance Power Yoga- Lawrenceville, GA Yoga helps me release any tension my body has and helps with my flexibility. I used to be a ballerina so getting back to stretching and all that jazz is so comforting. Classes are usually about an hour long and I’ve only taken a few classes but it is definitely a time for me to relax and think of a new mantra for the following week.
- Working out- I started to dedicate time for this at the beginning of the year. I tried sporadically from May last year but I could not stay committed. The way I am able to fit this into my schedule is by planning (in my Erin Condren planner) that I go to the gym every single day. I will plan out specific times and classes. By planning this way, I know that I can make it to the gym at least 2-4 times in a week. (I include yoga in this 2-4 times also)
- Hair Appointments- Mamas!!!! YOU NEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD this time. I literally live for hair appointments. For me, I am usually going lighter in color so my hair takes a long time to lift. I can estimate an easy 3-6 hours. My hair appointments are usually with my mother-in-law and it is fun because I get a chance to bond with her. My latest trip was not with my mother-in-law but I still had a good time with another mama!
- Time at Starbucks- I live here. I love here. I need here. Some days if my mom is in town or if my grandma has Mila anyway because of Yoga or class then I will take my sweet time at Starbucks to finish my homework or research how to make this blog AHMAYZING. Either way, I cuddle up with a nice iced tea or iced coffee and I have at least an hour of self-care time.
- Cooking- I love to cook. Like, it is literally my passion. I am all about making new recipes or modifying some that I see on Pinterest to make it something my family and I would like. Now that I am on WW-Weight Watchers Reimagined I find ways to make some of my favorite recipes very low carb and keep the SmartPoints down to a minimum for sure! It’s been so much fun and I’ve lost like 4 lbs in 2 months! That doesn’t sound like a lot, I know but I have gone down a pant size! and I can fit back into a size small shirt and I am digging it. I meal prep for my family on Sundays. I will meal prep lunch for sure but for dinner I make more of a big batch for 3 nights of dinner because I make a different dinner one night when my dad and mother-in-law come for dinner and then on the weekends we tend to eat out or we have some leftovers we can devour! I have this easy, 2 hours alone in the kitchen doing what I love to do and sometimes the kids pop in every now and then but for the most part Caleb knows that is my time and Mila is starting to understand that her space is in the living room with the toys I never pick up. LOL
- Shopping- So, even if it is window shopping this still counts mama! I have been on a fairly strict budget because we would really like to maximize our savings this year. I use about $200 a week and it’s a lot easier than you would think. I know what you’re thinking… $200 is a lot a week but when you’re a mom of 2 and a student who goes to school in different counties (2 different campuses on 2 different days) than where you live you tend to spend a lot of money. I fill up on gas once a week, that’s $45. I buy groceries for our separate dinner that I stated above and that is approximately $50 max! Then I have $100 to just spend on me…LOL YEAH RIGHT. One of the kids always ends up needing something and $100 can go just like that! Sometimes I am able to spend it on self-care stuff but most self-care things I accumulate from leftover funds from other weeks and that is an amazing feeling! Shopping can be at the mall, at TJ MAXX, Ross, Marshalls or my favorite…. TARGET. I can roam around these stores for hours and not buy a damn thing but I will have an idea of what I want for special occasions and that will be my goal until that occasion. It is a lot more fun than it sounds especially when you don’t get that quiet time when you’re grocery shopping lol.
- Lash Appointments- THIS, THIS is my all time fave. I’m talking Lash Extensions ladies. I am in love with getting these babies done because I can rock the no make-up look all day, errday! It’s empowering, honestly. I mean how nice is it to just wake up freakin flawlesssssss. My lash appointments last about 1 hour-2hours depending on if I need a whole new set or if I am just getting a fill. Plus, the drive there is about 30 minutes of pure bliss AND I take a nap while I get my lashes done. I am pretty sure my lash tech has heard me snore more often than my husband has. I am in the deepest sleep when I am there while I am getting pampered. Can I ask for anything else? Book your appointment with Jaira
- Facials- I had my very first facial EVER about a couple months ago. I haven’t been since even though I have some prepaid facials on the books, it is just a time thing. Sometimes I don’t have the time in my schedule and to be honest I feel like I need like an hour after to not have kids to reap the full benefits of a facial! I am the most relaxed when someone is just pampering my face. I struggle with dry skin and larger pores and nothing is better than lookin like a million dollars when I walk out. I feel like Beyonce! My first facial was with my lash tech. SHE IS AMAZING. So amazing that I will repost her link in this bullet point also. I also love, love, LOVEEEEE Timeless Aesthetics Med Spa of Atlanta. The staff there is just so freakin’ amazing. I am in love with all of them and how cozy and comfortable I feel when I am there. When I get a facial, I really do feel like I got my mom juju back so why wouldn’t you want to feel that way?
Book with Jaira
Book at Timeless Aesthetics Med Spa of Atlanta
- Networking events- My husband and I used to go to a couple of these and we loved it! We went when we were just dating so it has been a while but it’s such a great way to watch each other thrive in a social environment. My husband and I are both passionate about what we do and seeing each other express that passion is like HOT. You feel me? There is nothing I love more than watching my husband be an expert in his field and vice versa. We will pick this back up now because talking about it makes me want to book a couple years worth now. 😉
- Date Night- This is SOOOO FREAKIN important. Alone time with your spouse is a must. Hubby and I try to do this at least once a week. Sometimes 2 times a week, if we are lucky. We get to talk about things we forgot to or we spend our time gushing about our kids. We try out a new restaurant or go get something we are craving since we are both on low-carb “diets”. I hate the word diet so that’s why I placed them in quotation marks lol. We love Asian food so typically we love Korean BBQ or Sushi… AND WINE. Lots of Wine.
- Taking a shower/bath- This seems like a simple task but it is not. I promise I never knew what a real quick shower was until I had kids. You literally wash what is necessary and get the fuck out. As soon as the baby is asleep, I jump in that shower so quick it is not even funny! But lately, I have found myself waking up early to tackle this self-care task. My husband gets up at 3:45am every morning to go to the gym. Sometimes I will get up and make my tea: hot water, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and apple cider vinegar. I’ll enjoy a few moments alone in bed and then jump in the shower or read. You have no idea how amazing this has been. My day is up and running and I have the whole freakin day!
- Lunch with friends: OR BRUNCH! lol I have made it a thing with 2 of my girlfriends to grab lunch once a month. We are all busy and sometimes that’s all the time we can commit to that and that is okay! Sometimes I can’t see some of my friends for a couple months and that’s OKAY TOO. You do not need to see your friends every day or even every weekend in order for them to be your friends and it took me a long time to realize this. I now treasure my time with friends so much more now and it is usually over food and that is the absolute best thing EVER.
April- The New Mom On The Block